There is nearly nothing more satisfying than cleaning out a hand-picked pumpkin in preparation for carving. However, don't throw away those insides. Instead, make an easy, delicious and healthy snack: roasted pumpkin seeds.
Not only are roasted pumpkin seeds a fun fall-favorite, but this tasty snack also provides Tryptophan, an amino acid responsible for producing mood-boosting serotonin, which in turn, can lower your risk of depression.
This healthy snack is easy to make and customizable when it comes to seasoning. So, if you're looking for a sweet treat or a salty crunch, pumpkin seeds can become your new go-to.
Related Blog: Pumpkins: Fun Fall Decoration or Superfood?
- One medium pumpkin
- Extra virgin olive oil (or avocado oil)
- Seasonings of choice
Customize Your Flavor
- Ranch: Onion powder, parsley, garlic powder, dill, dry mustard, celery seed, paprika, black pepper
- Cinnamon Sugar: Brown sugar, cinnamon
- Sweet and Spicy: Brown sugar, cayenne pepper, black pepper
- Your favorite dry rub
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Open the pumpkin by cutting a circle around the stem with a sharp knife, pulling off the top.
- Use a strong spoon to scrape the insides of the pumpkin, scooping out the seeds and strings.
- Place the pumpkin seeds in a colander and run under water to rinse and separate the seeds.
- Measure the pumpkin seeds in a measuring cup. Place the seeds in a medium saucepan. Add 2 cups of water and 1 tablespoon of salt to the pan for every half cup of pumpkin seeds.
- Bring to a boil and simmer for 10 minutes. Remove from heat and drain.
- Toss seeds in a teaspoon of oil and seasonings. Spread the seeds out over the roasting pan in a single layer.
- Bake on the top rack until the seeds begin to brown, 5-20 minutes, depending on the size of the seeds.
Moorings Park Communities proudly offer many healthy dining options for our residents with a wide selection of casual and fine dining restaurants in each of our communities. Contact us for more information on our communities, lifestyle, and the amenities available.